IndyHumane is adjusting protocols and processes in accordance with CDC guidelines as we actively monitor the status of Coronavirus/COVID-19.
Our Michigan Road adoption center is closed to the public and open for adoptions by appointment only.
If you are interested in adopting, visit indyhumane.org/dogs or indyhumane.org/cats for up-to-date information on pets currently available for adoption.
Each profile will contain a link to an online application. Please complete an application for the animal you are interested in, and a member of our team will contact you within 24-48 hours with more information and to set up an introduction for approved applicants within 3-5 days.
- Adopters must be at least 21 years of age.
- We do not accept applications for animals who are not available for adoption. We do not have the staff to manage a waitlist or to notify patrons when a particular animal is available for adoption.
- Applications are considered in the order they are received for animals who are currently available and listed on the adoptable animals section of indyhumane.org. Our adoptions team will attempt to contact you up to three times in a 24 hour period. If they are unable to reach you, they may move on to the next applicant for that animal.
- We cannot finalize adoptions over the phone or online. Everyone in the adopters’ household will be required to meet the animal at the shelter.
- Once you have been approved to adopt, you can place that pet on hold with a $30 non-refundable, non-transferable deposit until your introduction is scheduled and you can take the animal home. If the adoption isn’t completed, the fee becomes a donation toward that pets’ care. There are no “second” or “third” holds, and only one hold may be placed on an animal at a time. Hold deposits cannot be transferred to another animal if the first adoption is not completed or approved for any reason, including if a dog-to-dog introduction does not go well.
What is Nine Lives Cat Cafe?
It’s a place to unwind with a cup of coffee and the relaxing hum of a cat purring on your lap! Nine Lives Cat Cafe provides a unique atmosphere for coffee and tea drinkers while providing a loving space for adoptable cats from IndyHumane. And not only is it fun for both the humans and the cats, it’s also helping us save lives. The additional level of exposure that Nine Lives offers our feline friends has helped get some of our most social cats adopted into loving homes more quickly than they would if they were in our shelter environment.