Adoption Lobby Hours
Monday 1pm - 7pm
Tuesday 1pm - 7pm
Wednesday 1pm - 7pm
Friday 1pm - 7pm
Saturday 11am - 6pm
Sunday 11am - 4pm
Major Holidays Closed
Rooms for a Reason
May 1st, 2013
Stay in the heart of downtown at Embassy Suites Indianapolis Downtown or Conrad Indianapolis and feel good about giving back.
Pets: Stories and Safety
May 30th, 2013
Children ages 4 - 7 and an adult are invited as Humane Society staff share the basics of pet ownership.
Dog Communications Class
June 8th, 2013
Adults and families are invited as representatives from IndyHumane explain what your dog may be saying to you.
What should I do about stray cats in my neighborhood?
Should I feed stray cats? What can I do to help ferals?
Does my dog have separation anxiety?
My dog tears up my house while I'm away. Does he have separation anxiety?
How can I train my puppy to use the bathroom outside?
My puppy keeps pooping and peeing in my house. How can I housetrain my dog?
Adult Summer Volunteer Program
The Adult Summer Volunteer Program is ideal for students who are home for the summer or individuals who have time to donate during the summer months only.
· You must be at least 18 years of age by June 1st.
· You must commit to a weekly 2 hour schedule. This will ensure that days and time frames we need Volunteers are covered.
· You must commit to volunteer during the months of June, July, and August.
· This program only qualifies you to volunteer during the months of June thru August. If you are able to volunteer year round, you should consider our In-Shelter Volunteer Program.
· Volunteer Fee of $15
· Must complete training in order
· Volunteers with special needs must have an adult who is also interested in volunteering to complete training and volunteer alongside them at all times
Steps to Become an Adult Summer Volunteer:
1. Submit an Online Application
Applications will be accepted from March 1st- May 15th. Submission instructions are on the application.
2. Complete Basic Training
You will receive a tour of IndyHumane. You will also receive detailed information about the workings of our shelter, disease prevention, and customer service.
3. Complete a Shadow Day
You will spend a shift with an experienced Volunteer or Staff Member in the area you are interested in donating time. This will help us determine if you are volunteering in the area best suited for you and our needs can be met.
4. Complete an Intro to Shelter Canines Course, if you will work with dogs, or an Intro to Shelter Felines Course, if you will work with cats
You will learn the proper way to interact with shelter dogs/cats, learn basic handling techniques, and learn how to deal with problem situations.
All training steps must be completed in order. Training is set up so that you may complete all steps within 1 month. Once you have completed these steps, you'll be an IndyHumane Volunteer and can start donating time and love to the animals in our shelter.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.