Find a Pet
I ruv roo! Ruv me too!
A purrfect cat!
The Humane Society of Indianapolis is located and based in Marion County, and we adopt to Indiana and surrounding state residents (IL, OH, KY, MI).
NOTE: Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays are often our busiest days with longer wait times. Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays are calmer traffic days. Newly available animals are added daily.
Download an adoption application and save time at the shelter.
We invest $600 - $800 in the average animal's care. Your generous support above and beyond the adoption fee makes it possible for us to save lives like the one of the pet you adopt.
- Puppies (under 7 months of age): $295
- Small Breed Dogs (7 months and older): $235
- Medium and Large Breed Dogs (7 months and older): $160
- Kittens (under 7 months): $75 (or $100 for two)
- Cats (7 months and older): $40
- FIV+ Cats: No fee (Potential adopters will need to plan to place a hold on an available FIV+ cat and return the following day to complete the adoption process.)
All adoptions include:
- Health check
- Spay or Neuter
- First round of Distemper/Parvo vaccine for dogs (DA2P-PV) or first round of Distemper vaccine for cats (FVRCP)
- Bordetella vaccine for dogs
- Feline Leukemia testing for all cats
- Feline Immunodeficiency Virus testing for all cats six months or older
- Canine Heartworm screening for dogs six months or older
- First deworming
- Flea treatment
- Microchip identification & registration
- Pet Behavior Resources
- 30 days of Accident Insurance
How to Adopt an Animal
NOTE: The adoption process takes from 30 minutes to two hours depending on the info we need to cover with you and the number of pets going home at the same time. We are a non-profit humane society with limited staff. We are not a pet store. Our animals greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and support. We couldn't save their lives without you.
To adopt from IndyHumane:
- Have your family visit our shelter and choose the animal you would like to adopt. Please think about your lifestyle and the types of activities you wish to do prior to choosing a pet. Our goal is to match pets with families willing to commit to the animal's individual needs.
- Adoptions and holds must be done in person. We do not take holds or process adoptions over the phone or by email. In order to adopt or to place a hold, patrons must first sit with an Adoption Counselor to hear information on the animal they are interested in.
- Read the information provided on the animal's kennel card (or on-line profile) in detail. There may be cases where an animal will have restrictions related to its adoption in order to ensure the best family match. Some animals listed on the website are listed for medical sponsorship only and their description will indicate "not available for adoption".
- Bring the animal's green kennel card (located on the front of the kennel) to the adoption lobby. Cards printed on white (vs. colored) paper indicate the animal is not currently available for adoption (these animals also do not appear on the web site).
- Fill out an adoption application. An adoption counselor will then discuss the animal’s history and behavior with you. We want to ensure that each animal adopted will be matched with the most compatible family. Please remember: This is an adoption of a rescued pet, not a purchase; the adoption counselor may decide a particular pet is not a good match for your family or lifestyle.
- Completed applications for holds and adoptions must be turned in one hour prior to closing to allow ample time for processing.
- A picture ID is required to complete an adoption.
- Adopters must be 21 years of age.
- Many adoptions can be completed the same day, but some may require additional time. Please be understanding if the pet you have chosen cannot go home with you that day. We are open for adoptions 6 days a week and almost all adoptions can be completed within 2 days.
- Need a day to think about the decision? You can place an animal on hold until the end of the next business day with a $30 non-refundable, non-transferable deposit. If the adoption isn't completed, the deposit is considered a service fee. If the adoption is completed, the deposit is credited to the adoption fee. There are no "second" or "third" holds, and only one hold may be placed on an animal at a time. Hold deposits cannot be transferred to another animal if the first adoption is not completed or approved for any reason. There are also cases where a no-fee hold may be required by the shelter in order to complete the adoption process.
- You will have the opportunity to purchase any supplies from our retail store. We have all of the basic items needed and the sales from our retail store help support the mission of the shelter. Our prices are often lower than the big box stores.
Pets for Patriots
Pets for Patriots’ vision is to end animal homelessness by supporting the permanent placement of adult dogs and cats with every available, able and willing military family in the U.S. If you are a service or veteran member of the U.S. military and have your current proof of service or DD214/proof of honorable discharge, you can receive 35% off adoption fees of a qualifying animal once you are approved by the Pets for Patriots organization:
· Dog or cat two years or older
· Dog 40+ pounds, regardless of age
· Special needs dog or cat, regardless of age: animal with chronic medical condition, disability, birth defect or 8+ years of age .
In addition to the adoption discount, PFP will send you a generous gift card from a major pet retailer to help with pet food, supplies, toys and other basics, that is renewable annually as long as you demonstrate you still own your honorably adopted pet. More information on this partnership is available at PetsForPatriots.org.
Please apply online and bring the letter of certification with you to the shelter to be eligible for the discount.
Pets for the Elderly offers companion pets to individuals 60 years of age and older for $50 off regular adoption fees. The discount can be applied to any animal age 3 or older. Bring a picture ID confirming your qualification for this program. This discount cannot be combined with an already-reduced price (e.g. Staff Favorites which receive $25 off). More information on this partnership is available at PetsForTheElderly.org