7929 Michigan Road
Adoption Lobby Hours
Monday 1pm - 7pm
Tuesday 1pm - 7pm
Wednesday 1pm - 7pm
Friday 1pm - 7pm
Saturday 11am - 6pm
Sunday 11am - 4pm
Major Holidays Closed
Pet Loss Support Group
February 7th, 2017
Join us to share memories about your pet with pet lovers who have had similar experiences.
Veterinary Technician (RVT)
Now seeking a Veterinary Technician (RVT) for a rewarding position at IndyHumane!
As a member of our intake staff and medical team you will work with a highly skilled team to provide skilled, compassionate veterinary care to shelter animals.
- Ensuring that animals arriving at the shelter receive a thorough initial physical exam and that vaccination and other medical protocols are followed consistently.
- Monitoring the health of the animals during medical rounds each day, and alerting the veterinarian or supervisor of any urgent care needs.
- Medicating animals daily, obtaining samples and running diagnostics, wound care, performing venipuncture and lab tests, rehabilitation, critical care, surgical assistance, taking radiographs, administering vaccines, inserting microchips, restraining animals, etc.
- Performing euthanasia as needed, returning phone calls for patrons requesting appointments for low-cost euthanasia services.
- Creating and maintaining detailed computer records for each animal that is handled. Reviewing medical records and following protocols to see what animals need related to their care and that they continue to move through the adoption system.
- Prepping and recovering animals from surgery, restocking, cleaning, and maintaining the surgery area as assigned
- Treating all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance
- Communicating and interacting professionally and collaboratively with management, medical, animal care, customer service and volunteer staff.
- Communicating professionally with patrons at the intake door, this includes those surrendering, those seeking information or resources, those who have lost or found a pet, those dropping off donations, etc.
- Demonstrating low-stress animal handling skills.
- Communicating and following safety and hazard procedures.
- Associate’s Degree in Veterinary Technology, or significant experience working in a Veterinary setting.
- Customer service experience preferred.
- Computer and money-handling skills.
- Passion for Animal Welfare.
- Conflict resolution skills/calm under pressure — a positive attitude is a must!
Position starts at $13 an hour with health, 401k, pet-wellness, dog park, and other benefits!
Technicians typically work four, 10-hour days, including one weekend day.
A background check and drug test will be required of selected candidate.
Email your resume to: email@example.com
Learn about Internship Opportunities available at the Humane Society of Indianapolis.
Click below to see hours and locations for our Low-Cost Vaccine Clinic!